Created in the 1970s, Neuro-linguistic Programming or more commonly known as NLP is a pseudoscientific approach to psychotherapy and personal development mainly used as a more focused technique to help goal driven individuals achieve their vision through proper life coaching and goal driven approach.
Even though the technique was introduced as early as the 1970s, it didn’t get much popular until recently, particularly because of the digitally driven motivation in people to become entrepreneurs and start their own businesses and turn their visions into reality.
In this article we will take a keen look at what is NLP and how does it work.
What is Neuro Linguistic Programming?
As stated earlier, NLP is a pseudoscientific approach to psychotherapy. Getting into the anatomy of the word itself, NLP is derived from 3 words each of which explain the thought process behind NLP. Neuro, derived from Neurology refers to the physical as well as emotional components of a person’s neurology. Linguistic refer to communication and more precisely how you communicate with yourself as well as others. Programming literally is a system or a process which makes a certain process run on certain predetermined guidelines without deterring.
All in all, Neuro linguistic Programming is a way to train our communication and thoughts in order to derive them to achieve specific goals. From helping you identify your strengths and weaknesses to keeping you committed to your goals, NLP is a form of life coaching which helps greatly with keeping you on track and ensuring your professional success.
NLP helps you learn the language of your mind helping you understand what you actually want from your life. It includes the study of your communication with your own brain as well as with others. It is not just a technique but an attitude and methodology that helps you understand how to achieve your goals better.
How Does NLP Help You Achieve Goals?
NLP can be quite beneficial in helping you achieve your goals Here are 8 NLP techniques that help you do that.
- Creating a Positive & Specific Goal: For starters, create a positive and specific goal. Be very precise in what you want to achieve in your life.
- Let your Actions Speak for You: Don’t rely on external resources to do the job for you. Start on your own. Be it collecting funds or gathering the necessary paperwork.
- Contextualize: Ask yourself the necessary questions of why, when and where and how and jot down the answers.
- Know Your Resources: Know all your resources, the help you might need, the money, the documentations or any other prerequisite for achieving your desired goal.
- Set Your Objective: Set short term objective that help you achieve your long term goal. Don’t let yourself deter from those objective unless your goal requires you to.
- Ecology Check: Consider how all your actions may impact your overall life and rethink your priorities if the answer is more negative.
- Create Milestones: Jot down periodic milestones to achieve.
- Make the Plan of Action: Create and set about a definitive action plan and stick to it.